Sunday, October 18, 2015

Educational Tools: Infographics

     So for this cool tool review I looked into all the different options I was presented with and looked at each one until I found the free one, the one that was completely free and didn't ask you to sign up for a plan. I feel that we as future teachers and current college students need to know what is out there that is available to virtually every one, not just those who can afford a membership. For my infographic tool I chose to go with piktochart.com and the reason I did is because it advertised its account as free, and I was skeptical, but when I clicked on it I was brought to this:
I have conveniently highlighted what I am referring to...
     After creating my FREE account, I was brought to the introduction screen and a window popped up and recommended that I make my first infographic with one of their over 400 templates instead of starting with a blank template. They also directed me to some beginners' guide ebooks. 

This is what first made me start to like this tool, lots of choices and even the ability to start with a blank slate. 

This is a link to their ebook The Untapped Potential, this is a link to their ebook Create Your First Infographic in 15 Minutes, this is a link to their ebook Using Piktochart Like A Pro, and the last link is to their ebook Unleashing the Power of Your Creations.

All of these links appear in the introduction window. I would consider referencing the Create Your First Infographic in 15 Minutes, but I'd test to see how intuitive their interface is. 

Per their recommendations I browsed through the templates until I found one that suited me. 
As I browsed I found a sad truth, though they hid it very well. They too want you to upgrade to a paid membership to access all the template choices.

I continued exploring how to make an infographic using one of their free templates. 

The site was actually really intuitive and for only having the free version I had A LOT of choices to make when customizing, it was actually really nice. 

Here is my finished piece, I spent about an hour and a half on it, and I could see how you could spend even longer if you don't use a template. 


     Over all I would recommend this tool, and it would be a great reference for teachers and students. 
I would give it 5/5 stars. While the membership fees had me worried the free version wouldn't be as great, I was actually quite surprised. 





No comments:

Post a Comment